Chicken Biryani is a South Asian mixed rice dish with its origins among the Muslims of the Indian subcontinent. It is the most ordered and liked rice preparation in India. The style of cooking Biryani in North India differed from the Southern states.
Total Time: 1 hr. + 3 hrs. Marinating
- 3/4 kg chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
- 2 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 1 tsp. garlic paste
- Cinnamon (2 inch)
- 5 pcs clove
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 7 tbsp. ghee / oil
- 3 onions (sliced)
- 1 cup curd (beaten yogurt)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 2 cups basmati rice (pre soaked for 30 mins)
- 1/2 cup warm milk Saffron a pinch
- 1/2 tsp. green cardamom powder
- Mix all ingredients; tomato puree, yogurt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, garam masala powder, ginger paste, garlic paste, cinnamon, clove, black pepper, mint leaves, coriander leaves and salt. Stir well.
- Marinate the chicken with this mixture and keep aside for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, add in warm milk and soak with the saffron and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add in the marinated chicken and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Then, add the beaten curd and chopped tomato and cook further till the oil separates.
- Finally, add in the rice and mix gently.
- Add 4 cups of water, saffron in milk and cardamon powder. Stir once.
- Cover the lid and cook on low flame until the rice is done.
- To serve, scoop out the rice into a platter, garnish with green coriander and mint leaves.